Friday, February 22, 2008

Contradiction.

I created this blog as a shopping blog and I've kind of abbandoned it, primarily because starting this year, I've decided to rid myself of the consumerism bug that has infected us all. I read the first few sections of
Consumed: How Markets Corrupt Children, Infantilize Adults, and Swallow Citizens Whole by Benjamin R. Barber, but haven't had a chance to finish it. I don't need to though--the first few pages did enough convincing. Sure, I still spent money in January, but not nearly as much as I would have before.

Here are a few tips for breaking old spending habits:

1. Don't buy it if you have something that's similar.
I used to buy a lot of purses. Now I realize what a waste they all are, and so I rotate them more often for more variety.

2. If you don't go to the stores, you won't be tempted.
I can't set foot in a T J Maxx or all goals will be thrown out the window.

3. Don't carry a lot of cash or credit cards.
If you can't pay for it, you probably won't buy it.


I also stopped buying lunch at work because I was spending 6+ dollars on ONE meal and it was food that was bad for me anyways.

BUT if you must buy
Wal-mart does have a brand of TOWELS that is made in the USA. I believe it's SpringMaid. Check the tags.

4 comments:

Michael T said...

haha talk about contradiction--don't buy anything, but if you must, at least head to WALMART? you're hilarious.

i think the anti-consumerism 2008 is a good idea. i'm really going to have to work to stop buying lunch, though. it's probably the only thing that adds some much-needed variety to my diet. i mostly eat scrambled eggs, tofu, or peanut butter and jelly.

any suggestions?

Michael T said...

I think you should blog about Anti-Consumerism 2008. Frankly, I'm more interested in that than I am in buying American.

Also--don't you still have to buy things like rice? How about TP? Do you make sure those things are American? Do you have any suggestions for what must be purchased?

Hops said...

Ditto to everything Mike just said.

Jenna said...

Hey guys. I don't consider buying necessities to be excessive consumerism.